Incoming Sand Springs freshman Carter Young (32-5) was selected as our Sandite of the Week for his outstanding performance at the USA Wrestling Cadet Freestyle National Championship.
Held in Fargo, North Dakota, the USAW Nationals are one of the biggest events of the year for the wrestling community.
Young was the defending three-time USAW Champion with tournament wins in Novice and Schoolboy. This was his first year at the Cadet age division.
Last year Young defended his title without giving up a single point, winning all of his matches by 10-0 technical fall. It looked like he might repeat the feat this year.
Competing at 94 pounds, Young won his first four matches 10-0. He defeated Ethan Ferris in 27 seconds, Utah State Champion Austin Bush in fifty seconds, Nebraska State Champion Dyson Kunz in sixty seconds, and USAW Folkstyle National Runner-Up Kase Mauger in forty seconds without giving up a single point.
He finally found a competitor in New York State Runner-Up Jordan Titus, but never trailed in points and rolled to a 17-7 victory in 4:15. The winning streak finally came to an end in the finals as he took on Colorado State Champion Jett Strickenberger. After giving up an 8-0 advantage to Strickengerger in the first round, Young scored four in the second period. Strickenberger tacked on the final two points and held on for the 10-4 decision.
Oklahoma tied with Georgia for 11th out of 46 states. Young was the highest-placing member of the Oklahoma Cadet squad.
Full Team Oklahoma results:
- 88 lbs - Luke Ahrberg - Did Not Place (0-2)
- 94 lbs - Jason Gilbert - DNP (2-2)
- 94 lbs - Cooper Mahaffey - DNP (1-2)
- 100 lbs - Eli Griffin - DNP (4-2)
- 100 lbs - Dayton Cary - DNP (0-2)
- 106 lbs - Braeden Williams - DNP (2-2)
- 113 lbs - Alexander Prince - DNP (1-2)
- 113 lbs - Jaxon Randall - DNP (3-2)
- 113 lbs - Corwin Strachan - DNP (0-2)
- 113 lbs - TJ Long - DNP (0-2)
- 120 lbs - Cameron Picklo - DNP (0-2)
- 120 lbs - Ryder Ramsey - DNP (3-2)
- 120 lbs - Reece Witcraft - DNP (4-2)
- 120 lbs - Caleb Tanner - 4th Place (7-2)
- 126 lbs - Laif Jones - DNP (2-2)
- 126 lbs - Brayden Strachan - DNP (1-2)
- 132 lbs - Timothy Trigg - DNP (2-2)
- 132 lbs - Blake Gonzalez - DNP (2-2)
- 132 lbs - Blake Salt - DNP (0-2)
- 132 lbs - Spencer Schickram - DNP (3-2)
- 138 lbs - Dillon Berry - DNP (1-2)
- 138 lbs - Blake Ramos - DNP (1-2)
- 138 lbs - Kobi Gomez - DNP (1-2)
- 145 lbs - Cole Thomas - DNP (0-2)
- 145 lbs - Wyatt Berry - DNP (0-2)
- 152 lbs - Micah Lugafet - DNP (3-2)
- 152 lbs - Jacob Law - DNP (1-2)
- 152 lbs - Kyle Knowles - DNP (2-2)
- 160 lbs - Colby Simpson - DNP (1-2)
- 160 lbs - Gage Hockett - DNP (4-2)
- 170 lbs - Cade Cook - DNP (2-2)
- 170 lbs - Talon Borror - Fifth Place (5-2)
- 182 lbs - Matthew Santos - DNP (2-2)
- 182 lbs - Grant Baber - DNP (0-2)
- 195 lbs - Konner Doucet - Sixth Place (4-3)
- 195 lbs - John Wiese - DNP (1-2)
- 195 lbs - Garrick Johnson - DNP (0-2)
- 195 lbs - Taylor Fleming - DNP (2-2)
- 220 lbs - Joshua Heindselman - DNP (2-2)
- 220 lbs - Micah Walker - DNP (3-2)
- 220 lbs - Cabe Dickerson - DNP (4-2)
- 285 lbs - Carson Wiley - DNP (0-2)
- 285 lbs - Trenton Keith - DNP (0-2)
- 285 lbs - Ashton Aldridge - DNP (0-2)