By: Scott Emigh, Editor-in-Chief
This week Sandite Pride would like to recognize Charles Page High School junior Daton Fix as Sandite of the Week for his outstanding performance at the United World of Wrestling Junior Freestyle National Championships in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Fix traveled to Vegas this weekend to defend his 2015 UWW Junior National title, and defend it he did, defeating some of the top names in the game. The 126 pound grappler is ranked second in the nation in his weight class and is riding a 54-straight win streak with 21 pins and 20 tech falls, only winning two matches since October by less than eight points.
The tournament featured some tough competition. Fix defeated University at Buffalo sophomore Kyle Akins 14-4, and two-time Illinois State Champion Kristopher Williams 10-0. In the semi-finals he scored a 10-0 tech fall over Austin Gomez, who is ranked fifth in the nation in 126 and just finished the high school season with a 40-1 record and a State Championship. The final match was Fix's closest battle since October, but he still came out with the win, defeating Gavin Teasdale 6-5 for the Championship. Teasdale is ranked first in the nation in class 113.
This is Fix's third time being featured as Sandite of the Week. Some of Fix's titles include:
- 2011 ASICS/USAW Kids Freestyle Schoolboy National Championship
- 2012 ASICS/USAW Kids Folkstyle Schoolboy National Runner-Up
- 2012 ASICS/USAW Schoolboy Freestyle National Champion
- 2012 ASICS/USAW Schoolboy Greco-Roman National Champion
- 2012 Cliff Keen USAW Preseason National Middle School Champion
- 2013 FILA Cadet Nationals Freestyle Runner-Up
- 2013 USAW Cadet Greco-Roman National Champion
- 2013 USAW Cadet Freestyle National Champion
- 2013 Kansas City Stampede Champion
- 2014 OSSAA 6A State Champion
- 2014 Cliff Keen USAW Cadet Folkstyle National Champion
- 2014 Cadet Freestyle Pan American Champion
- 2014 Cadet Greco-Roman Pan American Champion
- 2014 ASICS/FILA Cadet National Freestyle Champion
- 2014 USAW Junior Freestyle Dual National Champion (Team Oklahoma)
- 2014 World Freestyle Championship 10th Place
- 2014 Youth Olympic Games Freestyle Silver Medalist
- 2014 Super 32 Runner-Up
- 2014 Kansas City Stampede Champion
- 2015 OSSAA 6A State Champion
- 2015 Junior Folkstyle FloNationals Champion
- 2015 UWW Junior Freestyle National Champion
- 2015 UWW Cadet Freestyle National Champion
- 2015 Junior Freestyle Dual National Champion (Team Oklahoma)
- 2015 USAW Junior Freestyle National Champion
- 2015 Cadet World Championship Bronze Medalist
- 2015 Kansas City Stampede Champion
- 2015 Geary Invitational Champion
- 2016 OSSAA 6A State Champion
Sandite of the Week is a weekly recognition given to any one person with significant ties to the Sand Springs community who accomplishes remarkable achievements during the Sunday through Saturday week preceding the award. Prior achievements may be noted in the article, but do not bear direct influence on the selection committee which only considers prior week accomplishments. Candidates may be nominated by anyone by emailing SanditePrideNews@gmail.com. Bylaws prevent the giving of the award to anyone for two consecutive weeks, but any recipient may be nominated and awarded again in the future, so long as the weeks are not consecutive. Final selection is made by a majority vote of a three-person staff committee.
Businesses or organizations seeking to sponsor the Sandite of the Week award may contact the above email for inquiries.