Sheffield Crossing is a retail/industrial/multi-purpose development southwest of downtown on the former site of the Gerdau Steel Mill.
The steel mill was first constructed in 1917. At its peak, the mill produced as much as 550,000 tons of steel each year. Sheffield Steel Corp. was the largest employer in Sand Springs at the time it filed for bankruptcy in 2001 with nearly 500 employees. The company emerged from bankruptcy in 2002 and returned to profitability in 2003. In 2006, Sheffield was purchased by Gerdau Ameristeel Corp. for $188 million. Also included in the purchase was the Sand Springs Railway, which Sheffield acquired from the Sand Springs Home in 1969.
In October of 2009 Gerdau closed operations at the mill, offering buyout options for their 300 employees. In 2011 the company announced it would permanently shut down the facility.
In 2014, OmniTRAX purchased the Sand Springs Railway Company from Gerdau and in 2016 purchased the entirety of the former steel mill facilities. In September of 2016 the City of Sand Springs entered into an agreement with OmniTRAX to purchase ten acres of the site along Morrow Road to house the new City Public Safety facilities. OmniTRAX also announced plans to demolish many existing structures on the property and to redevelop the grounds for mixed-use including retail, industrial, and office space.
Progress photos: November 28, 2017.
Progress photos: August 25, 2017.
Progress photos: August 23, 2017.