On the Move: A History of Transportation in Tulsa
Through March 3, 2018
Lawson Exhibit Hall, Tulsa Historical Society & Museum – 2445 S. Peoria –
On the Move: A History of Transportation in Tulsa examines the many ways Tulsans have moved around through the decades since Tulsa first became a dot on the map. The first people in the area arrived here on foot, by horseback, or wagon. In the late nineteenth century, Tulsa became a stop on the railroad and the small settlement turned into a city. Before long there were bustling streets filled with cars and trolleys and Tulsa was well on its way to becoming the Oil Capital of the World.
Highlights include a 1955 Thunderbird, Skelly Gas Pumps, slight attendant uniforms, railroad tools, lanterns, timetables, and tickets, antique and locally made toys, Route 66 items, an original trolley bell conductor’s cap, and tokens from the Tulsa Street Railway Company, the World’s First Yield Sign, 1900-era baby carriage, “Countri Bike” – a celebrity bicycle that traveled the country in 2015, and hundreds of historical images of Tulsa and surrounding communities.
The exhibit also highlights Sand Springs history such as the old trolley system and the Sand Springs Railway, which has operated since 1911.
A FEW ARTIFACTS OF NOTE:
- 1955 Thunderbird
- Skelly Gas Pumps
- Flight attendant uniforms, 1960s – 2000s
- Railroad tools, lanterns, timetables, tickets
- Pratt & Whitney R-985 Airplane Engine
- Airplane Seats from MD-80 Airplane
- Terra Cotta from Tulsa Municipal Airport
- Spittoon & Teapot used in Katy Railroad President’s Car
- Spartan Coveralls
- Skelly Coveralls
- Antique & Locally made transportation toys
- Route 66 Items
- Hundreds of historical images of Tulsa and surrounding communities
- Original Trolley Bell, Conductor’s Cap, and tokens from Tulsa Street Railway Company
- “Countri Bike” – celebrity bicycle that traveled the country in 2015
- 1900-era Baby Carriage
- World’s First Yield Sign
- Original Tulsa Street Pavers
ABOUT THE MUSEUM:
The Tulsa Historical Society & Museum (THSM) chronicles the city’s vibrant past through eight rotating exhibit galleries, special events, and activities for adults and youth. In addition, the Museum houses the Tribune Foundation Research Library and the beautiful Vintage Garden with its collection of architectural artifacts and bronze sculptures depicting Oklahoma’s five internationally famous Native American ballerinas.
Established in 1963, THSM holds an extensive collection of resources on our city’s rich past and is the only museum in Tulsa focused on building, preserving, and presenting a broad-based general collection of Tulsa’s history. The collection contains nearly 200,000 still photographs, books, maps, documents, textiles, architectural elements, building furnishings, and personal artifacts.
From 1985 until 1998, THSM had its headquarters in the Thomas Gilcrease house on the grounds of Gilcrease Museum. In December of 1997, with funds made available through the Tulsa Tribune Foundation, THSM purchased the historic Sam Travis Mansion off Peoria Avenue, just south of the Tulsa Garden Center. The mansion has been expanded and renovated to serve as the museum’s home.
Tulsa Historical Society & Museum is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.