By: Scott Emigh, Editor-in-Chief
The hubbub around Pokemon Go has died down a little since winter has set in, but the game is still one of the most rapidly growing apps of all time with more than 500 million downloads worldwide.
Niantic Labs is constantly rolling out new updates and improvements and is far more active in engaging with their customers through social media than they were in the game's early days. If your gameplay has stalled over the winter months, here's what you may have missed:
- In September Niantic announced the addition of "buddy" pokemon. Whichever pokemon you set as your buddy will earn candy as you travel, allowing you to more easily power up and evolve rare pokemon.
- In October Niantic expanded training in "friendly" gyms to allow for the use of six pokemon instead of just one.
- In November Niantic added daily bonuses for your first catch of the day, and your first pokestop of the day. Furthermore, catching at least one pokemon every day for a full week, and visiting at least one pokestop every day for a full week, will result in an extra large bonus.
- In November Niantic adjusted the CP (Combat Power) of various pokemon. One of the earliest criticisms of the game was that many pokemon were useless in gym battles due to their low max-CP. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhydon, and Gengar had their CP increased while others had theirs lowered.
- In November Niantic officially rolled out a new in-game tracking system to help trainers locate nearby pokemon. The new tracker shows both "nearby" pokemon, as well as pokemon at nearby pokestops.
- In November Niantic added the pokemon Ditto to the game. Ditto takes the form of Pidgey, Rattata, Magikarp, and Zubat. There is no way to identify a ditto without catching it first. When used in battle, Ditto will transform into whichever pokemon it is currently battling and will have the same moves.
- In December Niantic partnered with Sprint, Boost Mobile, and Radioshack, turning more than 10,000 of these locations into pokestops and gyms throughout the United States. They also partnered with Starbucks, turning 7,800 locations into gyms and pokestops. In January they converted another 5,000 Starbucks locations into gyms and pokestops. Starbucks also launched a special Pokemon Go Frappuccino to celebrate the partnership.
- In December Niantic added several baby pokemon to the game from the generation two games. Pichu, Togepi, Cleffa, Igglybugg, Elekid, Magby, and Smoochum can now be hatched from eggs. Additionally, trainers can also evolve Togepi into Togetic.
In addition to all the new updates, Niantic has continued the practice of rotating "nests" every two weeks. The local Pokemon Go community in Tulsa and the surrounding areas has been working together to rapidly identify common nest areas and put out an extensive lists of places to acquire previously elusive pokemon. The "Tulsa Pokemon Go" facebook group is the largest and most active network of trainers, boasting more than 5,000 active members.
Here is the most recent list of nests, expected to last from January 11th through the 25th.
- River City Parks - Magmar
- Rayola Park - Bellsprout
- Elm Creek Park - Squirtle
- Nienhaus Park - Charmander
- Davis Park - Doduo
- Kelly Lane Park - Vulpix
- John Zinc Park - Ekans
- Central Park - Onix and Psyduck
- Southlake Golf Course - Geodude
- Washington Irving Park - Ponyta
- Johnston Park - Paras
- Boomer Lake - Seel
- Centennial Park - Charmander
- Jackson Park - Cubone
- Tulsa Zoo - Digglett
- Woodward Park - Drowzee
- Woodward Park Rose Garden - Squirtle
- Mingo Creek Trail (11th and Mingo) - Electabuzz
- Hunter Park - Growlithe
- Veteran's Park - Growlithe
- Whiteside Park - Growlith
- Maple Park - Horsea
- Westbank Soccer Complex - Jigglypuff
- Gilcrease Museum - Krabby
- Hicks-Bowman Park - Machop
- McClure Park - Machop
- McCullough Park - Machop
- Heller Park - Meowth
- Mohawk Golf Course - Omanyte
- Turkey Mountain - Paras
- Philbrook Museum - Pinsir
- Henthorne Park - Pinsir
- LaFortune Park - Poliwag
- River Parks - Poliwag
- Turner Park - Psyduck
- O'Brian County Park - Sandshrew
- Redford Lake - Sandshrew
- Civitan Park - Electabuzz
- War Memorial Park - Goldeen
- Honor Heights Park - Bulbasaur and Zubat
- Hatbox Sports Complex - Nidoran (female)
- Spaulding Park - Ponyta