Charles Page High School junior basketball standout Holly Kersgieter has committed to play collegiate ball for the University of Kansas.
Kersgieter was a starting player on the Lady Sandite Frontier Valley Conference Championship team that went 24-2 last season before being eliminated in the 6A State Semifinals. She was named the FVC Defensive Player of the Year and made the All-Conference Second Team.
Despite sharing the ball with three other Division One recruits, Kersgieter amassed 271 points on the season, or 10.42 per game. She was the second-highest scorer behind Oklahoma State University-bound softballer Sydney Pennington. She had the team-high in nine different games with a single-game best of 19 points. She was third in total rebounds, first in steals, second in blocks, and second in assists. She shot 81.25% at the charity stripe, 41.46% from outside the arc, and 50.29% on total field goals.
The University of Kansas went 8-22 overall last season for last place in the Big 12 Conference. They are coached by Brandon Schneider who is 14-47 after three years heading the program. The Jayhawks play at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kansas.
Kersgieter received offers from:
- University of Texas at Arlington, Sun Belt Conference, 22-9 last season.
- Oklahoma State University, Big 12 Conference, 17-15 last season.
- Missouri State University, Missouri Valley Conference, 16-15 last season.
- Austin Peay State University, Ohio Valley Conference, 14-16 last season.
- Texas Tech University, Big 12 Conference, 14-17 last season.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, Western Athletic Conference, 10-19 last season.
- University of Tulsa, American Athletic Conference, 10-21 last season.
Kersgieter also played volleyball last year and tallied 181 kills, 299 digs, and 35 aces over 104 sets, helping her team to a 24-14 record. She sat out the 2017 season to focus on basketball.