By: Scott Emigh, Editor-in-Chief
For the first time in Charles Page High School history, both the boys and girls Cross Country teams came in first place at the same event. The Sandites traveled to Kiefer for their season-opener and both teams came home with the gold.
The Lady Sandites took first place for the first time since 2014, and the boys claimed first place for the first time in over a decade. The last time the two teams came close to sweeping an event was 2001 at Tulsa Memorial when they both claimed second.
The girls ran a mile Saturday and three-time State Champion Cheyenne Walden led the pack with a career-best 5:23, beating her previous best by eight seconds . This is Walden's fourth-consecutive win. The senior only came in second one time last season, at the Chile Pepper Festival in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Coming in second place with a time of 6:14 was a junior transfer from Jenks, Tiqvah Soap. Soap finished in the top ten at two meets with the Trojans last year and adds to what is already one of the best girls' Cross Country teams in recent memory.
Alexis Davis completed the trinity with a 6:24 finish for third place, beating her personal-record by fifteen seconds.
Kalea Fleming, an eighth grade student at Clyde Boyd Middle School, placed first in the junior high division with a time of 6:11, which would have landed her silver in varsity. She will likely be a bright spot in the next four years of Sandite XC.
- 9th Elizabeth Watts 6:54 (PR-0:06)
- 12th Julia Lewis 7:05
- 13th Sara Abbet 7:07
- 14th Stephanie Genn 7:12
- 16th Kaitlyn Walden 7:17
- 17th Kaylee Blansett 7:31
- 19th Madison Englestead 7:38
- 22nd Chezney Kelley 7:49
- 23rd Kaileeann Worthington 7:55
- 26th Madelynn Adams 7:56
- 33rd Lily Reed 8:41
- 39th Lauren Barkdull 10:17
- 40th Ayden Meade 10:18
- 42nd Hope Pollard 11:01
The boys ran two miles and landed six runners in the top ten. Sophomore Aden Baughman, who was the lone Sandite boy to qualify for State last year, placed second in 10:46, beating his PR by 1:28. Glenpool's Ben Cain took first place with a twenty-two second lead on Baughman.
Ian Baustert, Kaegan Murray, and Jaden Weiser were neck-and-neck, each finishing within a hair of each other. Each had a time of 11:21, and placed fifth, sixth, and seventh, respectively. Two seconds behind them was Nelson Yazzie for eighth place, and Pierson Balsters trailed him in ninth place with an 11:26 finish.
Baustert's time was a 1:22 PR. Murray improved on his best by twenty-eight seconds.
- 12th Jaedyn Jackson 12:07
- 14th Phillip Elleman 12:28 (PR-4:14)
- 15th Danny Murray 12:35 (PR-2:20)
- 16th Jacob Smith 12:41 (PR-2:39)
- 17th Cooper Lynch 12:43 (PR-2:30)
- 18th Austin McCaskey 12:47 (PR-0:22)
- 20th Charlie Everett 13:31
- 21st Alex Newport 14:43
- 22nd Russell McCaskey 15:00
- 23rd Cody Putscher 15:52
- 8th Kade Holland
- 15th Kodah Gregory
- 16th Braden Gregory
- 27th Gavin Corbin
- 29th Josie Myers
- 36th Cooper McDonald
- 44th Carter McDonald
The Sandites will return to action Saturday, September 3rd, at Kelly Lane Park in Sapulpa. Kelly Lane is located at 1151 South Park Street.
- 8:45 a.m. Elementary (K-6) one-mile race
- 9:00 a.m. Varsity Girls one-mile race
- 9:25 a.m. Varsity Boys two-mile race
- 9:50 a.m. JV Girls one-mile race
- 10:15 a.m. JV Boys two-mile race
- 10:40 a.m. Junior High Girls one-mile race
- 11:00 a.m. Junior High Boys one-mile race